Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Modern Times

 Time for another blog! FINALLY.
 So, today we watched an old silent movie called "The Modern Times". Charlie Chaplin stars as the main character, a random, goofy guy with a suspicious-looking mustache. The movie shows how much trouble he gets in when looking for different jobs. After a while into the movie, we meet a poor girl and see a little into her life and how hard it is for her to make a living. These two characters clash in the middle of the movie and they continue the movie together. The main character continuously gets sent to jail for bogus reasons, and continues to look for new jobs. At one point in the movie, the main character(wish I knew his name, they never said it) gets a job as the night guard at a department store, and he takes this opportunity to provide his new girlfriend with all the things she needs. As soon as everyone leaves, he takes her to the food department and they eat. After that, they go upstairs to the toy department and have some fun. At the end of the night, he takes her to the bed department and gives her a nice place to sleep. At the end of the movie, the girl ends up getting a job as a dancing waitress, and she gets him a job as a singing waiter.

At first I was a little iffy about this movie, but as the 90 minutes went on I gradually started to like it. I found a lot of the situations that the main character was in to be hilarious. The fact that the movie mostly consisted of physical comedy instead of verbal surprised me at first. I didn't think I could get used to not hearing words in  a movie. Not only that, but Charlie Chaplin was one of the most inspirational people of movies. If you have ever seen "Whose Line is it Anyways?", you'll know that the people on that show participate in various improv games for the amusement of the audience. Charlie Chaplin was actually a big influence to this show, as the members of this show got a lot of their ideas and physical jokes from Charlie Chaplin.

I'm glad that I watched that movie, because I got to experience a type of film I had never experienced before. This movie also gave me a new appreciation to old-fashioned comedy and silent films like this.

Well, once again my blog post is over.
PEACE OUT

2 comments:

Caryn Kirk said...

So glad you liked this movie, Anna, and good work on the connection between improv and Chaplin!

mushroom said...

SOKKA!